Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 Was a Good Year.

At work this afternoon, I took down my 2013 calendar. I always feel like I should look through it, at this time of year, and think about all the things that happened.

The year started with Husband and I picking out paint chips for what is now "the Green Room" in January; later that month, we went to Nashville with Husband's mom and sister to see Keane in concert, for our second attempt (since the first attempt literally went up in smoke).

February came and went without much excitement.

March brought us to Chattanooga to visit with a friend of mine from high school, a trip to Washington DC, the last two weeks at my previous job, and a visit from my mom, sister and grandma for Easter. I also actually painted The Green Room, where as before, we had just planned it.

In April, we went to a New York Knicks game vs. the Atlanta Hawks in Atlanta; we bought Ollie the Outback; and I started my new job! (April was a great month!)

May held our 2nd annual beach trip with our amazing church friends; a second beach trip for me with a high school friend; and both of Husband's brothers' graduations. Brian (older brother), from medical school at UAB, and Ben (younger brother) from undergrad at BSC. Brian is now in the middle of his first year of residency in Nashville, and Ben has started med school in West Virginia at Marshall University.

At the end of June, we shipped off with Husband's family to Hawaii...

Through the first week of July. July also involved me swimming a lot to prepare for my triathlon (that was rescheduled from August to October), and my birthday.

The first weekend in August was busy, with a concert night in Birmingham (Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls), then a 10.5-hour drive (each way) to Chicago for the last day of Lollapalooza (where we saw Tegan and Sara, Grizzly Bear, and The Cure). My sister got engaged to her boyfriend of 5 years. Then my mom, sister and I all went to Sandusky, Ohio for Cedar Point!

September brought Nutcracker auditions; the anniversary of us closing on our house; our second wedding anniversary; and a Hanson concert.

October started with a wedding of two of our friends, then continued with our church friends' annual Fall Fest, a return to work post-furlough, a Halloween party with neighbors, and then finally, my rescheduled triathlon.

In November, my mom flew up to do the Warrior Dash with me; then Hubs went on the church mens' retreat; I surprised him with a trip to the Birmingham zoo and a yummy dinner. Later in the month, we saw the new Hunger Games sequel with Hubs' family, and enjoyed a beautiful (though cold) wedding of two of our great friends from church. We rounded out the month of November in Gatlinburg for Thanksgiving to visit with some of my family.

December seemed to have come and gone with a bang. It started with nightly rehearsals for me for the Nutcracker; and continued with lots of church WIC events happening; holiday parties; football; movies; Mannheim Steamroller; and a 17-hour drive (each way) to south Florida to be with my family for Christmas. (Photos to come)

+++

2013 was a good year. I truly can't complain. My family, both close and extended, on both sides of my marriage, remained safe and healthy. My friends remained safe and healthy.

I'm looking forward to another year of excitement and health with them.

2014, welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment