Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Green Room

I spent the final weekends in February and first half of March painting and decorating our guest room. It's finally done, and I'm really pleased with it. The first line of business was painting, then I took care of decorating the walls.

Some people really don't like painting. I'm not one of them. I really enjoy it. I turn on my iPod and go to town. Painting itself is easy- it's the prep work that takes all the time. Taping door and window frames, base boards, and the ceiling, and then making sure the drop cloth is taped down and doesn't have holes in it takes up most of the "I'm painting the guest room" time for me. But even though this part remains relatively unnoticed (unless you seriously mess up), it's a really important part of the process.

This is how the room started:

 
Boring.
 
We spent some time picking paint colors. We knew we wanted it to be in the green/yellow family, but we weren't really sure how bright, dark, or pastel we wanted to go. We finally landed on Behr's Apple Orchard:

 
Holy Apple Orchard!

After some painting and a few week's time passing, the room underwent a complete overhaul. The furniture was moved all around (as was our pile of clean laundry that usually lives on this bed) several times, and the drop cloth was moved from wall to wall. The blinds were taken down and put back up. All done while I was jammin' to my iPod on a pretty sweet set of free speakers I got from work.

I finally finished up all the final touches, removed all the tape, picked up the drop cloths, and moved the furniture back.

Below are a few pictures of the work in progress:



 
We also got more pillows for the bed.
 
Then finally last night, I finished making the second half of the over-the-bed art, decided where I wanted to put the other picture, and made it happen.
 
Here are the final pictures of the room, in all its Green-Room glory.
 
 
 
 
Gosh, I just love how the bright white of the blinds and
baseboard stand out against the bright hues of the paint!
 
 
 
I've always been big on the belief that the small, personal touches are what make something into something worth enjoying.

 
A picture Mommal gave me when I moved into my first apartment in 2008.
 
 
 
My mom gave us this pillowcase when we moved into our house in September.
 
 
And now the cream of the crop. The part on the left was created last year, and I loved it. It moved around the old apartment from time to time, and then it moved around the house while I tried to figure out what I wanted to do with it.
 
Last week, before our DC trip, I painstakingly arranged the new canvas' crayons in opposite rainbow order as best I could, and as similarly as possible to the original. It's not perfect, but I wouldn't want it to be.
 
Monday, Husband came to visit me at work for lunch and we threw around the ideas of possibly having the two canvases next to each other upright (dripping "up" or "down"), but after I finished the melting portion of the new canvas, we decided we really liked them facing out.
 


 
This picture has a lot of my favorite things-
crayons, colors, imperfect symmetry and boldness.
 
And just in time for Mom, Sister, and Mommal to visit for Easter in 2 days.

1 comment:

  1. If I ever need painting done I know who to bribe with brownies!

    ReplyDelete